What's Your Secret Sauce?
1) Describe five ways in which you think you have human capital that is truly unique. What is it about you, exactly, that makes you different?
Independent – I am my own person. I don’t try and rely on others for help. There are times I have come to a roadblock in my life and I have asked for help when I needed it. However, I have to try all alternative to solve my problem before I go to someone for any help. When I first met my husband that was actually one of the first things I told him about myself. Even though I am married and have someone to lean on, I try to do things the way I have always done them. If it is something I can handle then I do just that. If it is something that I need his opinion on then I get his opinion and then I handle things.
Flexible – I like to be flexible in my life. I think sometimes to get to where you want to be in life you have to be willing to be flexible and work with what you have or what is given to you. I think the reason I have had so many job opportunities thus far is that I am flexible. I don’t say no when asked to try or do something new.
Adaptable – I have an easy time adjusting to change. I tend to find the positive aspect of things and make it work. I have friends who have been afraid to leave their jobs because they feared the "what if's". I think living day after day the same is not as fun as trying new thing and making changes in your life.
Ambitious – When I set my mind to something I am the type of person to do everything in my power to make sure it happens. I don’t allow disadvantages to stand in my way. My emotions do sometimes interfere however, I try to find ways to overcome those emotions. If one way does work when completing something, then I take a different route.
Caring – When I make decisions I always think about how things will affect others. I don’t like to see anyone hurt, especially those who I am closest with. Sometimes I do feel like my caring too much does put me behind because I tend to put other people's needs over my own.
Independent – I am my own person. I don’t try and rely on others for help. There are times I have come to a roadblock in my life and I have asked for help when I needed it. However, I have to try all alternative to solve my problem before I go to someone for any help. When I first met my husband that was actually one of the first things I told him about myself. Even though I am married and have someone to lean on, I try to do things the way I have always done them. If it is something I can handle then I do just that. If it is something that I need his opinion on then I get his opinion and then I handle things.
Flexible – I like to be flexible in my life. I think sometimes to get to where you want to be in life you have to be willing to be flexible and work with what you have or what is given to you. I think the reason I have had so many job opportunities thus far is that I am flexible. I don’t say no when asked to try or do something new.
Adaptable – I have an easy time adjusting to change. I tend to find the positive aspect of things and make it work. I have friends who have been afraid to leave their jobs because they feared the "what if's". I think living day after day the same is not as fun as trying new thing and making changes in your life.
Ambitious – When I set my mind to something I am the type of person to do everything in my power to make sure it happens. I don’t allow disadvantages to stand in my way. My emotions do sometimes interfere however, I try to find ways to overcome those emotions. If one way does work when completing something, then I take a different route.
Caring – When I make decisions I always think about how things will affect others. I don’t like to see anyone hurt, especially those who I am closest with. Sometimes I do feel like my caring too much does put me behind because I tend to put other people's needs over my own.
2) Interviews
My independence is something that I have had since I was just a child. I think it is very funny that it was the first thing that my mom listed as one of my attributes. She also pointed out that I am helpful. I actually didn't even think about that as one of my characteristics.
My dad mentions that my character traits are ones that could lead people to think that they can take advantage of me. He really hit on how knowledgeable and resourceful I am. I think my ambition has something to do with how resourceful I could get.
Interview with Jose (Click Here)
Jose really thought that I was ambitious. He believes that when I have my mind set on something I will do anything in my power to accomplish my goals. He sees exactly what I see in myself.
Interview with Juan (Click Here)
Jose really thought that I was ambitious. He believes that when I have my mind set on something I will do anything in my power to accomplish my goals. He sees exactly what I see in myself.
Interview with Juan (Click Here)
Juan believes that I am confident. That is something that I myself never thought I was. I don't really feel that way half the time I am so scared of messing something up. But, I guess others see something that I myself fail to.
Interview with Shannon (Click Here)
I thought getting this from my cousin was very important. I was really interested to see how a teenager who I grew up with sees me versus how the other adults see me. My cousin like the others also believed that I am very determined when I set my mind to something. She also mentioned that I am kind and loving in my own way. What she thinks of me lines up with how I see myself.
Interview with Shannon (Click Here)
I thought getting this from my cousin was very important. I was really interested to see how a teenager who I grew up with sees me versus how the other adults see me. My cousin like the others also believed that I am very determined when I set my mind to something. She also mentioned that I am kind and loving in my own way. What she thinks of me lines up with how I see myself.
3) Reflection
I do not live near most of my family members. I didn't know how I would record a phone conversation so I briefly spoke to them on the phone explaining the assignment details and the types of things I was looking for. I was actually quite surprised how close they all were to each other as far as what makes me who I am. For the most part what I thought and what they thought really did align. There were a few things that they spoke about that I didn't even think about and that's mostly because I myself don't see that in myself. I think I tend to judge myself a lot harder than I should which could explain the differences. I do believe they were all right about me. They see me for who I truly am. I don't believe that I would change anything from part 1. I think that what I think about myself and how others see me is what make me the person I am.
Eliana -
ReplyDeleteThe traits that you and your family members identified are all wonderful traits to have. Clearly, you've been a very determined person, as evident from your family members interview, as well as from your past blog posts describing your work experience. I think that this assignment was very introspective and asked us to think positively about ourselves, which can be hard because normally a person's greatest critic is themselves. I feel that the traits that you have will carry you far in business and life.
Eliana,
ReplyDeleteI thought all of the traits that you identified about yourself are excellent and will help you tremendously in the future. I liked that you were able to interview people in your family even though you do not live by them, since they definitely know more about you than anyone. The trait that I think will help you the most is your independence, which is something both you and your interviewees were able to identify about yourself. Nice Job.
Eliana,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite character trait that you listed within your own list is "caring". As important as it is to be independent, it is equally important to be caring of those around you. "Caring" is especially important for entrepreneurs who essentially act as the head cheerleader and team leader of the company. I like that you addressed that there is a side-effect of being TOO caring as it sometimes places the needs of others before your own needs. Yet, as an employee, I think I would love to work for a boss (entrepreneur) who sacrifices for his employees.