Idea Napkin No. 1



About Me: My name is Eliana. I don’t really have any special talents that I have discovered thus far. I do have however, have a wide variety of skills and experiences that have helped shape who I am today that I believe will be of value. Some of my skills include, computer skills, customer service, multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, self-motivated, organizational, and I also have an aptitude for quickly learning new things. Most my experiences involved around providing customer service. I moved to Orlando, FL with less than $300 to my name. I was desperate for a new beginning. I applied for anything and everything I could find. The first job offer I took at a hotel as a room attendant. That job was the hardest job I have ever had. I was able to grow within the department within a short amount of time. I was a room attendant for 3 months, then got the opportunity to serve as the receptionist for the housekeeping department, and within another 6 months I was a housekeeping manager. I climbed the ladder faster than anyone has in that department. I was also the youngest manager they have had at the age of 20. I have always taken on task that were outside of my job description and used them to my advantage to grow. Of course, life in the housekeeping department does take a toll on oneself and eventually I left the company for other ventures. Since then I have worked as a guest relations operator at Hilton, medical receptionist at a dermatology office and now I am working in the "happiest place in the world" as a receptionist. I aspire to someday work for the government as a civilian for one of the branches of the military. If I were to start this business that I am working on I think it would in the beginning play a big role. I say in the beginning because if it able to take off I would want to grow and do more things to improve the business. I am not the type of person to staying doing one thing forever.


Customer Offering: For this business idea we will be creating a Smart Car Seat. This car seat will be used to remind parents that they have little one in the car. It will also include other features such as notifying you when there is a temperature that could affect a child, a heart rate monitor that will notify you if your child is in distress, and speakers to keep the little ones soothed during the car ride. I am hoping this product is able to reduce the amount of deaths and injuries that occur with children who suffer heat stokes in the vehicle. We will also offer a less expensive kit as an alternative to the car seats. The kit would have everything you need to transform any ordinary car seat into a smart car seat. I am hoping that buy offering a cheaper alternative people will be more willing to buy the product as an added safety feature. If the product is proven to be successful we will also try and sell the technology to other car seat companies so that more and more customers can be reached. This would work out well especially with those who tend to be loyal to certain brands.


Who are you offering it to? This product will be offered to an individual looking to make things safer for their babies and toddlers. Men and women who have children in their car would benefit from this product. We will also be offering the technology to other car seat companies. This would help reach those who prefer specific branded products get the safety features their car seat might be missing. The things these two have in common is that both seek child safety.


Why do they care? Individuals would buy this product because they want to make things safer for their children. These days technology is so popular that people like to buy smart devices that could simplify their lives. Companies would want this technology because then they will be able to attract more customers and they wouldn’t have to spend on the resources of having to come up with the technology themselves.


What are your core competencies? I don’t really see anyone out there that has a product out that is like mine, which would provide me with an advantage. I believe what will set me apart from others is that I will offer an alternative to buying the car seat. Not many companies out there are willing to offer an alternative kit of any sort because they want people to buy the more expensive product. For me it's not so much the money as it is getting a product out there to make children safer. I'm not accusing other companies of doing that, it's just my personal beliefs.


Evaluating whether you believe these elements fit together or whether there are aspects of your business concept that are weaker/out-of-joint with the others.
I believe that all my elements work well with each other. I do believe that I have some weak aspects of the business concepts. One of them will be actually acquiring such technology that will allow the product to function. I will need to find someone with the technical knowledge to get that up and running. I also believe that because I'm not very good at networking I will have a hard time finding ways to get the business off its feet. I believe though that it is something that can be worked on. Other than that, I believe that the idea is really one that people will enjoy. With some additional added features, I believe that anyone with a child would love a smart car seat that will be safe and keep their child amused during their ride.

Comments

  1. Eliana -
    You truly have a great opportunity on your hands. I think that this product could be marketed to anyone with children in their life, not just parents. Grandparents, babysitters, and anyone with a car that may transport children should have this product. Not necessarily because they will forget their children in the car, but as a safety prevention tool, just like a seat belt or air bag. No one intends to get in an accident, but those safety measures are put in place as a precautionary tool. I think the added features of soothing music and a heart rate monitor are good to set you apart and gives you a greater competitive advantage. A good way to market and network would be to take a prototype to conventions for safety and products for children. There you could meet with existing car seat companies to market your add on product, as well as showcase your smart car seat to car companies and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliana, I love this idea. So many business concepts are simply to make life easier or more pleasurable, but your idea is very useful and important. Heat related deaths with children in cars is a tragic statistic. Possibly the smart car seat could be compatible with a car’s Bluetooth and could project warnings through the car speaker, and an app connected to the car seat would be a convenient idea! I truly hope this product or a similar product is in stores by the time I have children!
    -L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellana,

    I really enjoyed hearing about your opportunity in this post. From your "About me" section, I'm able to gather that you're an incredibly hard-working individual, and I bet you would be able to overcome your shortcomings in technology and networking to get this product out there if you wanted to. I haven't heard of any product similar to yours, so I agree that you have a competitive advantage in the car-seat industry. However, the key in marketing this type of product is convincing the consumer that you're truly looking out for the needs of the baby (which I clearly see that you are!)

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment