Final Reflection

I really liked some of the assignments that allowed me to use my imagination with my venture idea. I thought that I wouldn’t like the elevator pitches and even from the start of the class told myself that I would not do them, however, once I attempted to do the first one I realized that maybe it wasn’t too bad after all and found it very helpful. I am not as camera shy as I usually am. The first time I did the elevator pitch it was so hard not to laugh as my husband recorded me. I think the ones I dislike the most were the ones that required interviews after interviews. It was hard to find people who were willing to give me decent feedback on my venture idea. It was even tougher getting them to answer more than with just one word.
I would have to say creating my customer avatar was pretty cool. I have never had to basically create a life of someone. It was interesting trying to figure out the life of a customer that would buy my product. I think that the elevator pitches are something that I will remember. Each time I was recording myself I feel that I was getting better and better at presenting my idea and I was also feeling more and more comfortable. I am proud of my venture and making it all the way to the end with my idea. There were moments where I did think to myself how on earth will my venture survive but I pulled through.
I don’t see myself as an entrepreneur just yet. I think I have a better understanding of what it takes to be one though. I understand that not every entrepreneur makes tons of money and there is actually more to it than just having an idea. I do think that I am closer to developing an entrepreneurial mindset. I think with a little more work I could one day say that I am an entrepreneur should I decide to follow that path.
I would tell the student to be creative. Don’t think that by coming up with a product that does 100 things will make it popular. Sometimes people just need simplicity in their life. I would recommend to the student to make sure not to procrastinate in this class. The assignments are not that bad so just get it done and that way you aren't scrambling Friday night to finish everything. I also think that student should take advantage of any extra credit offered. Even if you think you don’t need it. It is nice to have just in case you forget an assignment or an emergency happens and you can't complete it. In order to foster this mindset, you need to get organized. Set a calendar, write down goals. I know for me the greatest feeling was crossing off assignments from my list. It made me feel accomplished.
Eliana,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this course because it pushed us to think creatively and push ourselves past what we originally thought we were capable of. I know when we started the course I never expected to design an app. I also really enjoyed creating my avatar customer. It helped bring the venture more to life by imagining the typical person using it. I honestly feel that your smart car seat and stroller idea should be more than just a class assignment. I encourage you to try making it a really. I think its well needed and fully developed. Good luck!
Eliana,
ReplyDeleteI was also hesitant about the elevator pitch assignments at first, but they quickly grew on me. Taking a look at my first video, I realize now how far I've come along. I remember having to practice my pitch over and over in front of the camera, and I was frustrated at how frequently I was tripping over my words. I would say that I don't feel much like an entrepreneur as well...but I agree with your sentiment that this class has helped set the groundwork for developing an entrepreneurial mindset. I enjoyed reading through your posts this semester and I wish you the best of luck in your ambitions!