Celebrating Failure

This semester was a little on the hectic side. I don’t believe I failed at anything but I did have a few hardships that I did learn from. In one of my other classes I take the first portion of the semester we had 10 chapters to read from the textbook, a 400-page book, 15 articles, and chapter lectures/other side lectures (ranged between 30 minutes to 1.5 hours each) that I needed to have learned before test one. We were given five weeks to learn all of that information. Because of the hurricane, I lost one week because I did not have any power at my house. I was very overwhelmed with the amount of information that needed to be learned. I thought it was impossible. I really did feel defeated. I thought that the teachers would consider giving us extra time but that didn’t pan out. I didn’t go so bad on the test but I also didn’t get the grade I would have wanted to receive.

Next time I feel like instead of going along with the syllabus I should attempt to get a little ahead especially being that I live somewhere that is known for its hurricanes around this semester. I do find getting ahead difficult because I do work fulltime, go to school and have at home responsibilities that need to be taken care of.

I always kick myself when I feel that I could have done better. When I did see my grade on the test I was a little bummed for the next hour. But then my husband told me that for the next test I know how to prepare. He was right. For test two even though with was a little less material to learn I knew that I had to get ahead so that I could have even more time for studying. This class was not challenging but was very time-consuming. This class did teach me that it is okay to fail sometimes, you will learn from it and next time you will do better. If I missed an assignment for whatever reason I just knew that I had to be more aware the next time of what needs to be done and by when it needs to be done.

Comments

  1. Eliana,
    I was also in this class this semester, so I know the struggle you felt with all the information. I also hoped for an extension on our exam, which i did receive in other classes. This course forced me to stay accountable for all the various information and caused me to question my study habits a bit. Although it was difficult, we learned a lot from this failure and will remember it to do well in future courses. And hopefully we don't have any more hurricanes for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliana,
    I really like how you bounced back from your "failure" in the beginning of the year. Sometimes life can be unexpected like Hurricane Irma knocking out your power, but in the end you learned that you needed to do things differently and prepare more. Im glad you were able to learn from your circumstances, Learning from mistakes is a huge key to success, Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment