Testing the Hypothesis Part 2
Who: So, I spoke to a few people at work and was able to find a few that have said they wouldn’t buy the product.
Why: I don’t think that the need is different. I guess it just depends on who you ask. Whether a person feels that they will benefit to having the item for the safety of their child verses those who feel that they are smart enough to always remember that they have a child in the back seat, it is all about perspective. There was an idea brought up of not only including children but animals as well which is something I didn’t think about before and possibly creates a whole new need or even could open up the idea to include more people who are outside of the boundary.
- The first person I spoke to said that she didn’t need a product like that because she never intends on having kids. She however feels that there would be a benefit to having the item but only if people use it properly. People cannot even remember to charge their phones so maybe they would forget to charge a car seat. She feels that a lot of people out there also buy gadgets but just to say they have them and not actually use them correctly.
- The second person I spoke to also doesn’t have kids so she wouldn’t need a car seat but she suggested that it is not only children that suffer heat strokes in cars but animals as well. Saying maybe a similar device but for animals should be created. She said she would buy an item like that for her dog crate she has in her car.
- Another person I spoke to has grandchildren says that if the kit is inexpensive enough they could use it as a cool baby shower gifts. They had no little ones to worry about so they themselves felt it was useless to have.
- I did speak to a new mom who recently returned back to work and she said that while the idea sounds cool, she herself wouldn’t need it because she would never forget her child in the car. She did laugh and say maybe her husband could use something like it.
- The last person I spoke to said that her son is 6 years old and he takes himself out of the car when they get to places so she wouldn’t need something like this as a reminder. He makes enough noise in the back that she always knows he is there.
Why: I don’t think that the need is different. I guess it just depends on who you ask. Whether a person feels that they will benefit to having the item for the safety of their child verses those who feel that they are smart enough to always remember that they have a child in the back seat, it is all about perspective. There was an idea brought up of not only including children but animals as well which is something I didn’t think about before and possibly creates a whole new need or even could open up the idea to include more people who are outside of the boundary.

Hi Eliana,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to identify the market that wouldn't buy this which is obviously people who don't intend on having kids, that's pretty easy to spot. Therefore, it makes your job easier because you know exactly what audience you will not spend marketing dollars targeting. I also think it was funny that the mom felt she would never need something to remind her of her child, but maybe her husbands. I do feel dads have a higher tendency to forget than a mom (no offense to dads). But, that doesn't mean they will be offended I think it will be a good way for dads to prove they care about their kids, so its not a bad target audience.
Eliana,
ReplyDeleteWhile there are definitely those who don't intend on having children, or identify with other reasons why they believe they don't need this product, I think that the idea of sensor seats applies to everyone with a car. Although you may not have a child yourself, a child still might be in your car from some time or another. And when you're not used to caring for a child in your car, you could more easily forget them in it. I like the idea brought up about using the product for pets. A lot of pets also suffer from being left in cars at high temperatures, which unfortunately is mostly intentional by owners thinking it won't be too bad. If this product was included in the manufacturing of a car, mistakes would be less likely.