Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends

Economic Trend: Uber Loses License to Operate in London
  • Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/business/uber-london.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront
  • I believe an opportunity exists here because, by not allowing Uber to renew their license to operate in London, this would open the door to a new company to offer competitive services. Uber is one of the most widely used public transportation service and with it out of the way that will force people to use other services that may become available. 
  • People who might highly depend on public transportation prototypical customers. This could be people who may not know how to drive, who work odd hours whereas the bus/trains might not be convenient for them. I would also say tourist would as benefit because it is often the cheap mode of transportation. 
  • I would say this would be very easy to exploit. There will be people in need of cheap transportation it will be relatively easy to keep customers using the service. Most companies nowadays use applications on a smartphone to allow people to make reservations, which could be fairly simple to create with the proper knowledge.
  • I saw this opportunity because Uber is a highly popular mode of transportation especially here in Orlando FL. Most vendors and guest I deal with, usually use Uber when they fly into town for meetings. This specific topic caught my eye because I began to think of the opportunities one might have if Uber wasn't around. With all the controversy that surrounds Uber it would be wise for an up and coming business to learn from those issues that the company suffers and create a better experience for the customer. 

Economic Trend: Houston’s Unsinkable Housing Market Undaunted by Storm
  • Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/business/economy/hurricane-houston-housing.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness-economy
  • I believe there is an opportunity that exist here because this city is looking at possibly years' worth of rebuilding. The article states that developers are worried about the possible shortage of laborer's due to the extent of the damage.
  • I see the potential customers to be homeowners and business owners. There were many homes and businesses destroyed during this storm.
  • The easy part I find about exploiting this opportunity is that there is a lot to rebuild in that city. Work will continue for the years to come.
  • I saw this opportunity because here in Florida we deal with hurricane's year after year. However, the difference here in Florida is that there are new regulations for homes to be built with certain features to give them a better chance of withstanding a hurricane so as the years go by there is destruction but not as much as you would see in other places.

Regulatory Trend: Improving Access to Maternity Care Act
  • Source: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr315/summary 
  • I think there is an opportunity here because there is a current need of maternity healthcare professionals in certain areas. According to the bill they are not always placed where they are most needed. 
  • The customers this would attract, if the bill is passed, are women who live in areas that may not have much access to maternity healthcare. This would allow them to have the proper resources they need.
  • I find this to be an opportunity to be very easily exploited. I find this to be true because the healthcare industry is one that is very important and will always be around. People will continue to reproduce therefore the need for proper maternity care will always be required.
  • This opportunity I saw because nowadays healthcare is a hot topic that has always interested me. This one in particular drew my attention because it is one that could personally affect me, depending where I decided to live when I have kids. 

Regulatory Trend: Sports Medicine Licensure Clarity Act of 2017
  • Source: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr302/summary
  • I think here lies an opportunity because there are many traveling sports medicine teams that travel and may not be properly covered should something bad happen to the person under their care. 
  • The prototypical customer for this would be anyone in the sports medicine field and even sports team looking for sports medicine personnel that can travel with them to other states and provide services. 
  • I find this to be an easily exploited because it is something that is needed in order to protect the sports medicine professional. Companies that provide the medical malpractice will have to make adjustments to their policies order to include coverage to those providing services outside of their home state.
  • I noticed the opportunity because it was something that I did not realize was an issue. I was never aware that traveling sports medicine professionals aren't necessarily covered when leaving their home state where they are licensed. This is probably an issue that not many people even realize exist.

Comments

  1. Eliana,
    I found your choices very interesting, in particular the Maternity Care Act. As women, we need to be aware of the restrictions we have when it comes to motherhood and careers. Unfortunately, a lot of companies don't give new mothers much paid time-off (if any at all), which puts a huge strain on the decision to have children at all. I think it's sad that we have to worry so much about if we can afford the time off and the costs associated with having children. I have always wanted to be a mother and a career-woman and I hope in the future we have more resources available to us that makes it easier to be both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliana, you picked great topics for this assignment! I particularly liked the economic aspect of this assignment because as business students, I feel we should be more aware of economic trends. We study these trends to see what works and why it works. By studying the current trends, later in our business careers the trends we observed can help us make decisions and form beliefs based on prior experiences.

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliana,

    I thought you picked really interesting opportunities that have a lot of potential to make money, specifically the one that talks about the opportunity that is created by Uber losing its license to operate in London. The fact that uber was already established but now is not allowed to operate creates a huge demand if someone were to start a company with similar characteristics. Nice Job

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment