Bug List



1) Commercials and ads on tv and online videos, or even the ones that appear on websites you visit.
Why it Exist: Commercials and ads exist because they actually help pay for tv shows and movies on tv. For websites they are what keep some sites running. (At least for those that aren't making money off customer purchases.) They also exist because company’s feel that by promoting their product at certain intervals or during specific showings, they will generate more business.

2) Eastbound I-4 traffic no matter what time of the day I have to get to downtown Orlando.
Why it Exist: This is because there are not enough lanes for the amount of people in the area and also because as you get closer into downtown there is a massive amount of construction going on.

3)The light near my job that doesn’t give enough time for people to turn left if a pedestrian presses the button to cross.
Why it Exist: Lights typically go by a timer. Because pedestrian crossing is usually 40 seconds that takes time from the incoming traffic that needs to turn on to the road. When there are no pedestrians the timer for turning traffic is a lot longer.

4) The extreme heat temperatures in Florida.
Why it Exist: This occurs for a number of reasons, one of them being which that the earth is going through some climate changes. (Let's be honest for a moment and blame it on global warming.)

5)Walgreens leaving more than one message a day when my medication is ready for pick up.
Why it Exist: This is to remind customers of their medication so that it is picked up before they have to reshelf the medication.

6) Employees at my doctor's office who fail to pass a message to the doctor.
Why it Exist: This could be for a number of reasons. One of which is that they get very busy and simply forget to pass the message.

7) People who don’t pull to the side when an emergency vehicle is coming.
Why it Exist: People are too much in a rush to get to their destination on time rather than leaving early in order to have some buffer in case anything happens. So instead they try to "beat" emergency vehicles so that they don’t have to pull to the side and waste more time.

8)Expensive college textbooks.
Why it Exist: College textbooks are very popular and almost always required for classes so companies take advantage in order to make as much money as they can from college students.

9) Delayed fights.
Why it Exist: Dangerous weather conditions can cause flights to be delayed because if a flight has to find an alternative route they have to make sure that the route is clear of all other planes.

10) Getting to the doctor's office on time for your appointment, but having to wait 30 minutes to an hour to be seen.
Why it Exist: This occurs because some patients may take longer than others causing the doctor to fall behind on in coming patients.

11) 18-wheeler trucks that drive side by side not allowing for smaller vehicles to pass.
Why it Exist: This exist because there is no law that prevents such an event from occurring and as long as they stay in their lane, no law is being broken.

12) Parents who feel the need to speak to the school bus driver causing a buildup of traffic.
Why it Exist: This is because sometimes parents need to notify bus drivers of certain situations going on with their child and since the bus has the lights flashing during this time, no cars are able to pass.

13) Parents who block the entrance to the neighborhood so that their children can wait in the car till the bus comes.
Why it Exist: We live in a very different world and nowadays it has become more common for children to disappear on their way to or from the bus stop, so some parents like to make sure that they see their child getting on the bus.

14) People who don’t signal before coming into your lane.
Why it Exist: This exist because people assume that others will automatically know that a they are moving lanes and that people have to make way for them.

15) Friends who plan meet ups and bail out in the last minute.
Why it Exist: This exist due to possible last-minute emergency or poor time management on the friend's behalf.

16) People who cannot follow directions right after being told exactly what they need to do.
Why it Exist: This happens people some people either don’t understand what is being told to them and just pretend to understand or possibly because some people on hear what they want to hear.

17) Longlines for rides at the theme parks.
Why it Exist: There is a max occupancy for each ride which is far less than the max occupancy for theme parks therefore, when everyone is trying to ride rides all at the same time it is impossible to avoid long lines.

18) When an online movie or show you are in the middle of watching has to "buffer".
Why it Exist: Too many people trying to watch the same thing at the same time which can cause an overload on the servers that support that program.

19) Multiple email promotions from websites I am signed up through.
Why it Exist: Companies want to make sure, you are up to date on all the company has to offer in the hopes of getting a person interested in other products.

20) Motorcyclist who try to squeeze in between cars during high volume traffic.
Why it Exist: This is because motorcyclist is in a lot smaller vehicle and they can sometime fit in small areas to get through traffic a lot quicker.

I only found it difficult to actually start the first bug, then once I got started I kept going. I did also give myself a break after coming up with the first 10 which really helped when coming up with the next set. Now the part that I found difficult was the "why it exists". This was sometimes difficult because I had to look at it as what causes the issue to exist rather than why it bugs me. It’s a lot easier for me to call out all the things that bug me but not actually see what the real problem is.

Comments

  1. Eliana, I also found the “why it exists” part to be difficult. While I was reading your bug list, I felt that you really did great on that part. All of your “why it exists” made sense. Your list was very creative because you had twenty very distinct but rational bugs. You included bugs that we may not experience everyday but are nonetheless annoying like flight delays.

    -LCH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eliana!
    Your list is very rational and relatable. While the majority of your bugs were ones that annoy me, I did not think of them myself when I was writing mine. I also found it difficult to start my list, but once I did the bugs kept flowing. It was a strange concept to me to write down 20 things that bugged me. When it came time to write the Whys, I realized we had to look at the bugs like problems and come up with solutions to evaluate why they existed. You did a great job at being objective with your answers. Number 10 on your list is my favorite because it is one that bothers me so much. I hate making an appointment, whether it be the doctors office or a nail salon, and then waiting to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eliana!
    Your list exemplifies something I struggled with during mine: you observed "bugs" throughout your day. I can tell by the scenarios that you pointed out, that you looked at your day and recognized the bugs and the whys. A lot of your bugs have to do with every day things like driving, dealing with people and work. Although you mentioned you struggled with finding out the "why does this happen", I think you did a great job identifying the whys. My favorite is longlines for theme parks, especially if you're an avid park goer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eliana
    Your list was very interesting the way you percieved bug as something that could annoy you on a daily basis,. I agree with almost everything on the list due to my personal experiences. I'll never understand completely why they're so expensive when its a students necessity. The best part of the post was how you explained why all these bugs exist. The explanations are very specific and makes one wonder how they can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment